Friday, December 23, 2011

Winter Poems

Well, I said I'd post some poems about winter, and I've got three. School ended today, by the way. Fourth night of Chanukah and Christmas Eve-Eve. I have been basking in laziness for the last six hours.
On to the poems. They're about winter, but they don't really fit winter properly, except for the tanka (a Japanese poem sort of like a haiku). But they're the best I could dig up, all right?
The first one's a tanka (a haiku with two extra lines) that I wrote the summer after sixth grade, about snow:

Wild Snowstorm
White dots cluster sky
Ground dotted with wet snow spots
Wind reaches high point
Bigger snow whirls in the air
Sky grows dark as storm begins.

Nice, right? The next one is from ninth grade... I wrote this in February or something, so it's not really appropriate to the dead of winter in December, but look. It's the best I could find.
The Last Day of Winter

In the early morning hours
I looked outside my window
And the soft white sky called to me,
“Don’t forget.”

The snow began to fall
Spiraling to earth
And I feared this year’s season
Close to death.

Its last softly murmured song
Is a lullaby to earth
Snowflakes falling as I
Take a breath.

In the early morning hours
I opened up my window
To breathe in the cold, sharp
Winter air.

It was the last day of the season
The last day of the winter
So cherish it as snow falls in
Your hair.

The last one is from the summer after ninth grade. I wrote this, I believe on the last day of school, actually. It's a bit depressing but I think it captures the essence of winter a little better.

Winter
Oh, how I long for liberating winter!
That I should not stay in this hellish paradise
That the world calls ‘summer’.
Oh, how I dream of star-dropped snowflakes
Oh, how I wish for a world with silken, leaden clouds
Grey and as close above as the hair on my head
Oh, how I wish that the only green were the pine
The evergreen, the everlasting tree of life…
Oh, how I wish my nights were lit by candles, and by silver stars,
Glowing in darkened nights.
I am no longer drawn by the flashing light of fireflies
I am no longer drawn by the yellow hue of a late sunset
Still water cannot draw me from my lonely fortress
Oh, how I long for the dark, for the cold, for the winter.
Mwahahaaaaa, darkness. And I actually just remembered, I don't just have three poems. I wrote a poem two days ago called 'Inky Winter'. I was at a Chanukah party with a notebook, so. Yeah.
This one's a bit contemporary and confusing, but I hope you like it anyway.

Inky Winter
Descending into winter, dark
Blue ink black ink paper stars
Flicker candlelit night brings
Wicks and ashes, other things
Snow is white and gray and silver
Skies are white and nights are silver
Stars so small to a sky so big
And the stars of ink are not paper thin
Just don't stand so far away.

Walk along a paper road
Dance along with ink filled toes
Leave a trail of letters and words and
No one can follow your way.

Sun lights up the winter hill
At the start of a new day.

So, I have given you four LOVELY winter poems to brighten up your season. I hope you have enjoyed them, nonexistent readers. 
This is really much better than a jump drive for saving my work. I mean, I can save my novels and whatnot on a cold, hard USB drive, but poetry is better suited to a lovely little blog. Especially with the blue heading (is it blue? I forget) and a background of chairs and whatnot and a little thing at the top that says, "If you wish to see me, stop at the window" and whatever else I wrote there.

Happy Holidays, everybody! Write your own poetry, if you are reading this!
From, magic*esi!



Tanka Collection
A series of Japanese poems about nature
“Sunlight spots dancing
Golden-brown leaves floating down
Chestnut colored trees
Sit in the quiet forest.
Smoky burning smells linger.”
July 2008
(note: this is not the one included in this post, but the one in this post is good too)

The Last Day of Winter
A poem about feeling winter slip away
“Its last softly murmured song
Is a lullaby to earth
Snowflakes falling as I
Take a breath.”
February 2011

Winter
A poem about how I prefer winter to summer.
“Oh, how I dream of star-dropped snowflakes
Oh, how I wish for a world with silken, leaden clouds
Grey and as close above as the hair on my head
Oh, how I wish that the only green were the pine
The evergreen, the everlasting tree of life...”
June 2011

Inky Winter
An abstract poem about writing and poetry in winter
“Walk along a paper road
Dance along with ink filled toes
Leave a trail of letters and words and
No one can follow your way.”
December 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment